I’ll admit— One of the things I don’t like about living by myself is watching TV by myself. At it’s best, it’s a social thing. While I would often hush side-chatter if Idol watchers with me weren’t as invested, I do miss having someone to watch with. I’ve turned to Twitter a bit—- but tonight, here are my unedited, messy reactions to the Top 9.
(Oh and quick recap of the past 3 weeks- Sorry bout your luck, Jeremy, Shannon, and Jermaine. And I will NEVER be over Erika’s untimely Top 10 ousting. She was my GIRL.)
The order of performances…..
1. Worship time with Colton….. Some Lifehouse song. Separate of church and idol, please? Worship is not about performance…. this just isn’t my thing. Butttt he’s crying- so he’s probably got it in the bag. (David Cook cried, I believe Lee DeWyze cried, and Scotty cried…. Game over.)
2. Skylar- Gunpowder and Lead. I’m just not a contemporary country fan—I like her—not much more to say, though. I don’t think this will stand out from the pack, necessarily.
3. Colton, Elise, Phillip- Fleetwood Mac medley … I liked that— They brought out good stuff in each other- they just don’t seem to be friends or really have a lot of fun.
4. Heejun Han- This felt like 10 minutes long. I really only care about Elliott Yamin’s version of this song…..you should look it up. But wait now folks- Heejun pointed to God! Two can play this game,Colton.
5. Jesus Take the Wheel by Hollie— If she wanted to do Carrie, she needed to do an uptempo Carrie….aka not this song. (I personally would always vote NO for this song….) I like Hollie, but she could get Pia’d. No. More. Ballads, darling. On top of the wrong song, the snow that fell behind her looked like a premature confetti shower on finale night— you didn’t win yet, dear robotic-but-still-sweet blonde one. (Maybe she’s a lot like Carrie after all!)
6. Deandre- An Eric Benet (aka HalleBerry’s ex) song… Should have sang a Prince song people knew…. But he’s still a puppy I’d love to keep around. I think he’ll be in the bottom….
7. Jessica Sanchez- She said in her package: “I don’t try Beyonce’s moves anymore cause I know I can’t do them…” CUTE! I really freakin’ like her. After this performance, I’m really rooting for her. This confirms that she has the best shot against the fellas. “I look forward to hearing you every time…”- I agree, Randy!!
8. MJ Medley- My fav part? Joshua and Deandre on PYT!! Exposed Heejun’s weakness for realllll. They all have talent- but are they natural performers like MJ? No way no how.
9. Phillip Phillips- Haha- he does look like Lindsey Buckingham!! (What up ‘wit dat? What’s up ‘wit dat?) He is becoming less of a mix between DC/Kris Allen/Lee DeWyze and more just Lee DeWyze. (He’d probably bring out a bagpiper, too.) I don’t doubt his talent and some funky charm- I just wish he wouldn’t have gone the Idol route. That is all.
JORDIN SPARKS in the house with her man, Jason Derulo- She’s adorable—like a adored alumni coming back to see a HS musical. Cute. I’ll always support and defend her win. One of my favorite seasons. (My sophomore year at Cap- ahh the memories.)
10. Joshua Ledet- I Can’t Live If Living is Without You- I used to try to sing this song like Mariah in my bedrooom. FABULOUS!! I rewinded that KILLER run he did up the scale. Might be my favorite part of this season so far. Woooooooo!!
11. Madonna Medley- Kinda cute—- they need to have moooooreeee fun, though.
12. Elise Testone- Whole Lotta Love - YAY- she was finalllllly herself. Do it for Erika! Do it for all the fallen rocker chicks! I loved her Robert Plant/Steven Tyler pants…. This song is so sexy. My only critique? While you can’t go wrong with Whole Lotta Love, I do wish she would have chosen a different Led song— merely cause I think people will compare her to Adam Lambert. Still, keep it up, gurrrl.
Until next time….
Marta, Idol Nerd.